Friday, April 06, 2007

Next Stop Wonderland (1998)


Rating: * * * * (Out of 5)

I miss true indie films like Next Stop Wonderland. Somehow after the 90's indie/Sundance explosion, independent films have gradually become studio films with low budgets.

I really liked this Brad Anderson film. He is an interesting director. Stylistically, this film reminds me a lot of la Nouvelle Vague. The story is sweet and romantic, and it is told with a sense of humor, which I always appreciate.

Hope Davis is a wonderful actress and it is too bad that she doesn't land that many leading roles.

My pick of the Netflix comment: "I don't care how much you like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, if you are a heterosexual male and you're not actively going to watch this with someone who you might have sex with, than AVOID this film. I could tell it would suck within 5 minutes but I fast-forwarded through the whole thing in case someone got Naked. Nobody does."

It would be great if Hope Davis got naked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home