Thursday, April 05, 2007

Old Boy (2003)


Rating: * * * 1/2 (Out of 5)

Part of Chan Wook Park's vengeance trilogy, Old Boy is so distburbing and so violent, but is interspersed with moments of genuine sweetness and humour.

The visual is showoffishly stylish, but then everything else in the film is over the top. It definitely pushes the envelope and I was constantly surprsised at how far it would go.

It is interesting how moral is presented here, or is there any? It goes to the depth of the human heart, which is a scary place.

I liked the film and I admired the film, but it is not the kind of film I would want to watch again.

My pick of the Netflix comment: "Hated it! This rental was a huge mistake. What was I thinking? All the language difficulties of this genre and a lot of gratuitous posing & posturing. I didn't think the fight scenes were all that either, tho did appreciate the realism that our hero might tire during them."

The hero gets tired during fights... the saving grace of the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home