Saturday, April 07, 2007

Three Times (2005)


Rating: * * * * 1/2 (Out of 5)

Of the three stories, the first one is by far the best. In fact, I think it is the best 40mins of pure cinema I have ever seen. The camera observes sensitively to capture every little gesture and every stolen glance. A line of dialogue here and there, the visual offers a more direct experience of the emotions. The Taiwanese pool hall becomes a space that has meanings. Juxtaposted with the American music over the radio, the feelings of youth against tradition is ever present in the understated romance of the two lovers.

I admired the audacity of the 2nd story more than I liked it. Shot as a silent film, the effectiveness of it wears off after a while.

The chaos of the 3rd story reminds me a bit of Hou's other film, Millenium Mambo (also with Shu Qi). I understand the rationale of the style, but as with the 2nd story, I think that it seems good on paper, but in actuality, it becomes a bit tiresome. Hou Hsiao-Hsien is one of my favorite directors, but I must say that this is not his best style.

But the 1st story more than makes up for the other two. I was blown away after the 1st 40mins, and I kept wishing to have that feeling again, but I suppose it was too much to ask for.

My pick of the Netflix comment: "I thought Talledaga Nights was the worst movie of 2006..until I saw this cinematic equivelant of chloroform. Take the opening scene- a surreal bit in which the leads pointlessly knock billiard balls around a table without pockets- as a warning: ain't nothing gonna happen in the whole damn movie."

Come on, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby was funny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home